UK National Day celebrated at Astana Expo 2017 in Kazakhstan
UK National Day is set to be a spectacle at the Astana Expo taking place today 26th June. British fashion will be fused with theatre, music with dance and literature with spoken word all culminating in the celebration of UK’s strengths and contributions to the Expo theme of ‘Future Energy’.
The day will be led by HRH The Duke of Gloucester who will take part in formal ceremonies to mark the day and attend The Queen’s Birthday Party, hosted by the British Ambassador, Dr Carolyn Browne.
A diverse and rich cultural programme of traditional and contemporary dance, performance and music, will run at the Expo throughout the day. Through performances, buskers and street artists, there will be references to the past and point to the future:
- London Contemporary Ballet Theatre will perform a bespoke performance as part of the opening ceremony.
- UK Innovation showcasing Graphene as Britain’s latest pioneering Nobel Prize winning discovery from the Physics Department of the University of Manchester.
- A fashion showcase promoting up and coming UK designers
- An immersive performance celebrating Scotland and home of golf with outfits supplied by tweed manufacturer Walker Slater.
- Harry Potter readings from Harry Potter and The Philosophers Stone. Read in English by Newcastle born Sarah Robinson and Russian, promoting education and culture
- Bagpipes performance from John Rae who has previously performed for the Queen.
- A UK National Day parade – a celebration of the United Kingdom capturing the diverse energy of the nation with a carnival atmosphere.
- Brassroots brass band will be creating a medley of iconic British songs.
UK Commissioner Charles Hendry commented; “We’re delighted to demonstrate through Expo the UK’s impressive capabilities. As one of the world’s most creative nations we hope to surprise and entertain visitors to the site.
We’re also proud to illustrate, why the UK is widely considered to be one of the best places in the world to invest in renewable energy, and the technology within our oil and gas sector is second to none.
Today also underlines UK commitment to building collaborative and long-term partnerships in Kazakhstan and the wider region. We look forward to building on that relationship and creating strong business opportunities going forward.”
UK National Day starts at 10am with performances at regular interval, with the last at 18.00.
The UK will participate at Astana Expo over three months with an ambitious cultural and business programme.
The first World Expo was held in in London 1851. The Great Exhibition was attracted nearly 6 million people and included such attractions as the world’s first voting machine and the Mountain of Light, the largest diamond in the world at the time.
Notes to editors:
- The UK’s participation at the three-month long global event will highlight British expertise across the energy sector, as well as in design and technology, and promote the UK as a business partner of choice and a hub of academic excellence.
- The UK is committed to energy security and to action on climate change by cutting UK greenhouse gas emissions by at least 80 percent by 2050 and by sourcing at least 15 per cent of energy from renewable sources by 2020.
- By 2020 the majority of the UK’s renewable energy will come from onshore and offshore wind, biomass electricity and new technologies.