Apart from the obvious income, EXPO-2017 ensured the process of indirect effect apparition. This conclusion was made by the Kazakhstani Institute of Strategic Research (KISR) under President of the RK Chief Research Associate Vyacheslav Dodonov.
The expert marked that start of all these processes in the economy of the country had been given long before start of the Exhibition itself.
“These effects started before the Exhibition. Since the time when construction of all the pavilions began etc. That meant the orders, works, and contracts for our construction companies and companies producing construction materials etc. We may add such indirect effects as additional inflow of tourists including domestic tourism which grew considerably. It is what has been much spoken of before: enhancement of Astana service sector, transport etc. operations. It is the tax revenues to both Astana and National budgets provided by the enhanced volumes,” marked Vyacheslav Dodonov in his interview to a national TV channel.
In the expert’s opinion, accomplishment of the EXPO-2017 International Exhibition brings up an issue of implementation prospects in Kazakhstan of the principles and ideas contemplated therein: the ideas of sustainable and harmonious development within the frames of green economy, green technologies and green energy sector.
“Kazakhstan having submitted a number of international initiatives in this sector (the most widely notorious of them is the global environmental initiative ‘Green Bridge’) and defined the EXPO-2017 agenda aimed at implementation thereof through development of future energy has a possibility to demonstrate successfulness of the green economic growth strategy.
This possibility, especially its energy part, under Kazakhstani conditions is supported by availability of the rich resource base of future energy, in particular by vast potential of power generation by renewable energy sources (RES),” considers the expert.
At the same time, in the scientist’s opinion, not all the RES types are suitable for Kazakhstan due to its natural and climatic characteristics but solar, wind and hydro energy is most prospective.
“According to the estimates contained in the 2014 ‘Concept of the Fuel-Power Complex Development till 2030’, the hydro potential of middle-size and large rivers amounts to 55 B kW/h, small-size rivers 7.6 B kW/h annually. According to calculations, the solar energy potential amounts to about 2.5 B kW/h per annum, and the number of sunny hours in a year is estimated as 2,200—3,000 out of 8,760. The wind potential amounts to 1,820 B kW/h per year. Thus, the aggregate RES potential in electric power generation amounts to 1,885 B kW/h, and the heating potential amounts to 4.3 GW.
Presently, the volume of power generation by these types of stations is small in Kazakhstan. So, the volume of power generation by solar and wind stations by results of 2016 amounted to 320 M kW/h which made 0.3% of the total volume of electric power generation which amounted to 94,077 M kW/h. The share of hydro power sector was 12.3% (11,606 M kW/h), that is the aggregate generation by all the RES in the past year amounted to 11,926 M kW/h or 12.6% of the generated electric power. This index was considerably higher than in the preceding year (10.4%), and a considerable increment was observed in generation volume by solar and wind stations amounting to 105%. By this moment, there are 50 operating RES facilities in the country of the total capacity of 288.3 MW (hydro stations — 139.8, wind stations — 90.8, solar stations — 57.3, and a biogas unit — 0.35),’ the analyst states.
The scientist draws attention to the fact that fuel combusting power stations still keep their domination position in the energy balance of the country. Meanwhile, the ‘Concept of the Republic of Kazakhstan Transition to Green Economy’ provides for achievement of a 30% to 50% spread of renewable and alternative energy share by 2050.
Achievement by wind and solar stations of a 3% share in the total volume of power generation by 2020 is planned, and a 10% share by 2030. The analyst considers expansive growth hardly probable on a short-term horizon of two or three years and deems it appropriate to focus on development of hydro power stations.
“Nevertheless, in general, the prospects of renewable energy development in Kazakhstan stay hopeful taking into account both the factor of availability of considerable wind and solar resource potential in the country and the factor of constant technological progress in green energy sector and value reduction of equipment therefor, which leads to reduction of prices of generated power and raise of competitiveness thereof against traditional energy suppliers. In this connection, a conclusion may be drawn that the green economy elements, in particular energy, will be gradually implemented in Kazakhstan and get more and more widespread including use of the technologies presented at EXPO-2017,” considers the expert.